“My previous study was, honestly, kind of all over the map. Having an organized program gave me the structure to make sense of what I'd studied so far and where I was going next.”
~ Susan M.
Quality herbal education in the comfort of your own home, on your schedule.
Your life is busy, and there’s not always time to go somewhere to learn the skills you need in person. And when you’re tired after work, it’s hard to really dig into a big pile of reading and to learn from it. But what if you could learn herbalism like you watch TV?
Come home from work, grab some dinner, and sit down with video lessons taught by Katja and Ryn that lead you step by step through the material. This is the same curriculum that we use in our local, in-person programs - but we’ve turned it into an herbal version of your favorite TV show! It’s easy, it’s entertaining, but much more importantly, you’ll be inspired to bring herbalism into your life and build, one step at a time, a stronger and more resilient you!
Our Herbalism 101 bundle includes 59 hours of video instruction:
More than 85 videos about each individual herb and how to work with them, with close-up shots of each plant to help you identify it in nature.
45 medicine-making videos that show you, step-by-step, how to make every kind of herbal product and remedy. You can watch it on any device connected to the internet! Literally, you could get inspired, take your phone to the kitchen, and start making stuff right along with us!
Plus, we want your experience to be as close to “being there in person” as possible, and we want to accommodate as many different styles of learning as possible. That’s why we also provide:
- Lifetime access - your access never expires, so you can move at your own pace and review as many times as you want
- PDF materials - quick reference guides and worksheets as a companion to the video lessons
- MP3 audio files - so you can review the content while you commute, workout, garden, ... anytime!
- Direct access to Ryn and Katja - we're always just a click away: you can ask any questions in the integrated discussion forum, and we're committed to personally answering your questions within 24 hours
- Weekly live Q&A sessions - call in live every week to get some face time and direct feedback from your teachers
You get all this for 2 payments of $250.
Or, pay $450 one time, and save $50!
Either way, you get everything in the course & all the extras, for life.
Katja & Ryn
Two heads are better than one!
Katja & Ryn almost always teach together. They each have particular talents and areas of interest, and their perspectives on certain issues are quite different! Together, they convey a fuller picture of the realities of herbal theory & practice than either one could do alone.
Katja is an herbalist and teacher working to help people rebuild their relationships with their bodies and their own ability to heal. She’s been in practice for nearly 20 years, but it all began with a desire to make her own “fancy tea” at home instead of paying high prices for imported blends at specialty stores. She’s kept that do-it-yourself ethic close to her heart the whole way through.
Ryn has been a practicing herbalist since 2010. He came to herbalism by way of martial arts, where his first experiences with herbs were focused on getting back into the game and becoming more flexible, adaptable, and resilient. Passing that experience on to others is what keeps him motivated every day.
Ryn and Katja are wonderful teachers who are both highly knowledgeable and personable. They are very hands on and make an extra effort to pay attention to the needs and concerns of each student in the class. You will never feel left out or like “just another student” in their classes. They treat you as an equal while still acting as mentors and teachers, which makes for a unique and fulfilling learning process. They’re engaging and funny, and there’s never a dull moment! I highly recommend them as teachers and healers.
~ Vincent F. - proprietor, The Bower Studio
Is this for me?
The fact is, not every teacher or program will be a good fit for each person. Here are a few things to think about that can help you feel confident this program is a smart choice!
This program is for you if:
- You’re motivated and ready to take control of your health, and to help the ones you love.
- You’re passionate about natural health and looking for a way to incorporate herbalism in your busy life.
- You’ve hit a wall with self-directed study and want some structure and accountability from experienced teachers.
- You want to get in touch with your senses, and are excited to experiment and explore in the kitchen and the field.
- You watched our 4 Keys to Holistic Herbalism series and found what we said inspiring, motivating, entertaining, or just plain reasonable, and want to hear more from us!
If any of those describe you, this course is just what you’re looking for! On the other hand...
This program is NOT for you if:
- You already have materia medica and medicine-making experience, both theoretically and practically - in that case, you may be interested in our Foundations in Holistic Herbalism program.
- You’re already seeing your own clients - you might want to apply to attend our biweekly Clinical Roundtable.
- You’re looking for help organizing an herbal business - our Holistic Business Mentorship is for you.
- You really need in-person contact time to absorb information, and find learning from text, video, and audio to all be insufficient for your needs. In that case, perhaps we can help you find an herbalist or herbalism school near you? (Of course, if you’re in the Boston area, we’ve got lots of in-person options for you!)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I really learn herbalism online - isn’t this the kind of thing that needs to be really hands-on to be understood?
It’s absolutely true that you can’t deeply understand and the practice of herbalism just by reading, watching, or listening alone - you do need to get your hands dirty to learn this. However, you also can’t learn herbalism simply by being in the presence of a teacher. The real question is, do you get direct contact with the plants? It’s that contact, along with some guidance and structure, that makes the difference. And we’ll help you make that contact, even from a distance - we’ve got a system for it, and it works!
This is material we’ve developed over our combined years as practitioners and teachers - that’s 20 years for Katja and 11 for Ryn, and counting! - and we’ve thought long and hard about how to best present it at a distance while maintaining the authenticity of presence. What we offer here is the result of continual, ongoing refinement in methods of conveying that material to you, so you can really come into your own as an herbalist.
This seems like a lot of material. How long does it take to complete?
You have access to the whole program starting the moment you sign up, and you can take as long as you need to work through all 58 hours* of video and the accompanying quizzes, notes, and resources.
This program typically takes 13 weeks to complete, but you can watch the videos at your own pace, and re-watch them at any time. That is, indeed, a substantial time commitment! When it comes to herbalism, though, we promise: it’s just a start. For comparison’s sake, our first-year “apprenticeship” style program comprises 200 contact hours, spread out over the 9 months it meets.
Each lesson is structured so that you can have time to actually do the work of experiencing, experimenting with, and exploring different ways of interacting with the herbs.
Will I be a “certified herbalist”, “licensed herbalist”, or “master herbalist” after completing this program?
This is actually a complex question to answer - and the long answer gets into the oddities of professional regulation, educational standards, and related topics - but the short version goes like this:
- We teach skills and practices that will make you a competent, safe, and confident herbalist - now and in the future.
- We are a Member School of the American Herbalists Guild, and all of our programs do complete with a certificate documenting your hours of study, which can be helpful if you choose to join the AHG as a professional member in the future.
- It’s important to understand, though, that herbalists in the US are not certified or licensed by any governmental body, which means that neither we nor anyone else can make you a “certified herbalist” - just an herbalist with a certificate.
- Similarly, herbal schools in the US are not accredited according to any national standard, and terms like “master herbalist” are used by different people to indicate very different courses of training and experience.
- Many schools do use that terminology, because it's something that our culture sees as recognition, but we are not interested in licensure as a metric of competence, and we look at mastery of herbalism as a lifelong, ongoing pursuit - not something earned after a single year of study.
- Given all of the above, when choosing an herbalist to study or consult with, you have to keep your critical thinking hat on and assess each school, teacher, or practitioner on their own merits!
- If you're interested in recognition by the American Herbalists Guild, know that our 101, Foundations, Advanced, and Clinical programs combined do meet the educational requirements to qualify as a professional member. During clinical mentorship, you have the potential to meet the clinical requirements for professional membership as well. We're happy to help guide you through that process!
I'd visited herbalists before, and I'd tried figuring things out on my own, too. It wasn't until I started consulting and studying with Katja that I started to seriously look at the rest of the factors - my diet, my sleep, my stress . . . that's when things turned around.
~ Peter K.
Zero-Risk Return Policy
We’re here for the plants and the people, not the money.
We’re confident we can teach just about anyone, but if for any reason you feel like this program isn’t right for you after you’ve started, we’ll give you a full refund.
You get 14 days to try it out after signing up. If at any point within those two weeks you decide it’s not right for you, just let us know and we’ll issue a refund, no questions asked.
Carry It Forward
If you decide to continue on to the complete Foundations In Holistic Herbalism program after completing Herbalism 101, we'll give you a discount equal to the tuition you've already paid. You can transition directly in, and get to the additional material right away.
Try It Out!
Want to see a sample?
Check out this free video from our Holistic Herbalism Materia Medica course, in which we tell you everything you need to know about ginger.
The Materia Medica course currently includes profiles of 87 of our favorite herbs - and it's still growing! As new profiles are released, they'll be added to your subscription, for no additional fee.